The history of the Trinity United
Methodist Church of Lindsey, formerly the Evangelical Church, had
its roots in the early pioneer days when this locality was one vast
forest known as the Black Swamp.
Many of the early settlers were of German heritage, often coming here from the State of Pennsylvania. From the earliest days, around 1840 to 1870, the German language was used almost exclusively.
About 1840, the Overmyer class was organized. The class met in the homes of the settlers where they gathered to hear the circuit rider. They gathered in a log school house until 1853.
Construction of New Church
About 1870, a new two story frame church was built in Lindsey on the corner of Lynn and Maple Streets. It was 40 feet by 70 feet with the main sanctuary on the upper floor. This typically Gothic church had a fine wooden steeple that housed a bell which called the faithful to worship. The new frame structure served as the house of worship until 1915, a period of 45 yearsMarch 19, 1916 was the day set aside for the dedication of the new brick church with its beautiful stained glass windows.
New Church up in Flames
On the Sunday before the new church was to be dedicated, the old church caught on fire and was totally consumed and destroyed. The new structure also caught on fire, destroying the interior of the brick church. In less than six months, the church was rebuilt and dedicated on September 10, 1916
During the years between 1940-1988, two of the most compelling changes were the mergers that occurred. First came the merger with the United Brethren Church after which our name was changed from the Evangelical Church to the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Then in 1972 came a merger with the Methodist Church and a new name, Trinity United Methodist Church.
In October of 2000 the congregation consecrated the addition of a Fellowship Hall. This followed a year of construction and two years of planning by a specially created Building Committee. The sale of the Worker's Home, to help fund the new building, left us without a large gathering place for fun and fellowship. Several new activities have been initiated because of the new space.
Lindsey Trinity Church Today.
The stained glass window on the south wall of the church in the santuary.
The stained glass window on the west wall of the church in the santuary.
The new Fellowship Hall behind the church. This addition was built in 2000.